View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I like this thread!!! Thanks ALL!!!
It's like the old saying, A crazy amount of horsepower is just enough!

The best sounding and flowing muffler back then were the Super Turbo mufflers. Those mufflers were TOO loud for his liking (Tom S. reminded me of this...LOL) So he goes and buys 2 more of the same mufflers (all pipes and mufflers were 2.5" 2.5" was about the biggest pipe size hot rodders used back then. 3" pipes were just beginning to be used).
The 4 muffler deal worked great (2 mufflers on each side, end to end), sounded good too!!! The 406 small block/Muncie M20/3.42 gear pickup was a bad customer on the street!!!
IMO, the best sounding mufflers of all time were the Smithy's "Steel Pack" mufflers and they
had a very pleasing sound going down the road and worked well under power too.
You remember those mufflers Tom S? apparently speedway still sells a glasspak version today.

"Smithys Glass Pack Mufflers are designed for great performance with excellent tone. Double end cap construction and 3-1/2" hammertone finished cases assure the original Smithy look.

Worlds oldest performance muffler
Perfect for that resto-rod or 1950s custom
3-1/2" diameter seamed steel case
2" I.D. inlet and outlet"

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: