View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The Engine Masters episode that did the comprehensive study of exhaust diameter proved that pretty much there was no such thing as too big an exhaust. I was talking to the guy at the muffler shop and told him my Dougs headers had 3.5 inch outlets with necked down 3 inch collectors. I told him I was going to buy the pypes kit without mufflers and use the Dynomax mufflers that everyone says have no drone (can’t remember part number). He started telling me that he knew cars running in the 10s with 2.5 and that he would have a hard time getting me ground clearance with the 3 inch and that my performance would suffer with the 3 inch (Before anyone says anything I am aware I mentioned this conversation in another post). The impression I took away from the conversation was not performance loss or gain but that he didn’t want the pain in the ass of installing the 3 inch system. Anyway I was about to place the order for my header back kit on Summit and I noticed that Pypes themselves told a customer in the tech section that their performance would suffer if they went 3 inch over 2.5. This is in direct contrast to what Engine Masters proved on the dyno. I know that 2.5 inch would probably be quieter and that I am not making 800 HP or anything like that but how can bigger exhaust hurt the performance? Please enlighten me.
He's complaining about installing a kit from Pypes? That's just lazy IMHO. Are you going to run tail pipes? My 462cu Skylark has a 3" on it with dumps at the axle and it is loud not to mention it blows dust and dirt everywhere, it's going to get 2 1/2 mandrel bent tailpipes and Dynomax mufflers. I switched a truck I had from Flowmasters to Dynomaxs and was very pleased, no more drone and they sounded great. The lowest point is going to be the collector so pipe size really isn't an issue unless your lowering a car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDRM0144.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	541112  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge