View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin70TA View Post
We are building a more dedicated autocross/road course car and the transmission I have is Iron case (904) and steel midplate Super T-10. The downside is the dreaded first gear. I am trying to figure out if it will stay together (at least for awhile!) for what we are doing considering it probably won't see first gear, especially on a road course. Are these transmissions weaker just because of hard launches with sticky tires out of first gear? Does this make the rest of the gears weaker somehow as well?
Will be in a 3200 Ibs 77 T/A with at least 500hp of Pontiac power.

Appreciate the input!
Colin
Put a T400 in it and quit worrying about breaking it. I ran T400 in my dirt track cars as well as 2, 455 autocross T/As. If you have to shift gears on an autocross course your losing time. If you have a particularly slow portion on the course, the car downshifts with no clutch work, and upshifts with zero chance of a missed gear. Smooth is fast, and you can be much smoother many times with an automatic, at least it has been my experience.

Two years of running the 455 T400 T/As was extremely successful with both cars. I was class winner (C/Prepared) for the year with my 73. I took 4 first places, 1 second and a third and wound up with the trophy for the winner of the class that year. I also ran a borrowed T/A 6.6 400 77 Bandit car one time with a 4 speed, and saw no advantage over the T400 cars. The owner wanted someone to drive the car that had experience autocrossing, and asked me to drive it.

I've owned a good many 4 speed Pontiacs and never saw any advantage to using a manual transmission on a dirt track, or an autocross course, won a good number of events using a slushbox.

Both of the dirt cars in my signature pic have T400s, 67 GTO has a 400 engine, and the 69 GP had a 428 in it, zero transmission problems with either car over a 5 year period 13 feature wins, and a good many heat race wins over 5 years................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated