View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another short story on my RA Formula that's interesting. Everyone knows those scoops are probably one of the best at grabbing outside air.

When I ran the iron intake on it and driving the car during the winter months, we're talking 20-30 degrees outside, driving 50-60 mph it would pull in that outside air and actually cool the intake down enough to make the divorce choke kick back on, no kidding. I'd slow down through town idling through 25 zones and the damn choke would be on. A couple minutes of idling like that and the choke would kick back off, but as soon as I'd get rolling 50-60 mph again, within a few minutes the divorce choke would cool enough to come back on. This was back when I had the heat cross over partially blocked to keep air intake temps at bay, and it worked maybe too good on the cold days. Since I've switched to the RAIV intake with it's separate cross over it's cured that issue. Now I can enjoy a cold intake and not activate that divorce choke on cold days. No need to block the cross over now.

At the track that car loves the RA setup and forces air into the air cleaner at what seems to be pretty aggressive at higher speeds. Any time I'd trap over 100 mph I'd get back to the pits and find the little crank case breather filter blown out of it's holder and laying in the very back of the air cleaner. I found that if I would go WOT to say 70-80 mph it would stay put, but any time I reached 100 mph or in that vicinity, I'd find that little filter sitting in the back of the intake, lol. I ended up wire tying that in place so it wouldn't move anymore. That car hates it when I disable the RA. Even removing the air filter element and keeping the RA functional is the worst I've seen that car run. My guess is without the filter element, the air is coming in at such force it's very turbulent in there and it just screws up the air flow into the carb. The filter element helps to slow down and straighten the air flow. The car slows down a half second without the air filter in place. Crazy!

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: