View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Updates

So the windshield post trim I got from Johnny didn't work out like I hoped. The stainless acted exactly the same as the ones that came with my car. They just won't polish up nicely with the process I use.

So, I decided to take a chance and buy a set of reproductions by Restoparts that OPGI carries. After taking out of the box and inspecting, the polish job on them wasn't great but the fit looked perfect. They are a bit thinner but that doesn't make any difference. After a test polish, I decided they would polish out fine. I found the stainless they were made from were still quite a bit harder to polish than most other stainless I've done but the end result passes for me.

Here's the pair and the original inner pieces all completed:

Installed new clips that came from Ames and the rivets came from a Chevelle parts supplier.

Ordered some speaker grate, cut and installed it to protect the rear speakers. I had mentioned that I had intended to do that.

I finally received the door panels I had on order from Legendary since last December. They told me at the time they would take 8 months and that was right on the money. I polished and installed the original stainless trim onto them. These polished easily and fast much more like I'm used to.

Installed a set of Air Lift air bags in the rear springs and was able to do that without having to drill any holes by putting the access to the air fittings in the trunk and using existing factory holes.

I had ordered tires a couple of weeks ago and was able to get them and have them installed on the wheels last week (raised white letters to the inside). They are Cooper Cobras and are 235/60R-15 front and 255/60R-15 on the rear. I brushed SPI black epoxy primer onto the raised white letters so they wouldn't show from under the car. Also bought a new tire for the spare. It's a Cooper Endeavor and is 215/70R-15. I chose this because it's a smaller tire but has the same diameter as the rear tires.

In these photos, the air bags have about 10-15 psi in them and is what I'd like to run them at. The space between the top of the front tire and the fender is about 1.5 inches more than the space between the top of the rear tire and quarter panel. Even though not everything is installed in the car yet, I know for certain now that I'm going to have to change the front springs.

I've ordered trim rings from OPGI but they have been on backorder now for more than a couple of months. I get regular updates from them but every time they have extended the time by 2 more weeks.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: