View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
These two seem a little different, might help (at least me) to know if the unit can be tested without having it bolted to a master.

Mike
I have never found it to be necessary to have a MC involved in testing a vacuum booster. At least from 1963 forward. 1962 and older models, some of the boosters had the MC piston as an integral part of the assembly, meaning the piston stays with the booster when removed. The fact that the OP hears air rushing around in the driver side of the booster without application, indicates the air valve is either missing parts or defective as produced in China. The boosters we rebuilt in my classes were usually done on a Friday, charged with vacuum and put on a shelf with the students name. On the following Monday the student was asked to push the rod inward in front of me. If it still had vacuum in the chamber the rod would power assist and move easily and they would get a passing grade. If the rod was super hard, the vacuum had leaked out and they got a failing grade and a chance to do it over correctly. We called it quality control. I wonder if these replacements are checked with vacuum at all or just slapped together and thrown in a container ship?