Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
In your second picture you are on the last hole on the boom slider section.

The boom will see a lot of stress with the extension being all the way extended like that.

I made an square tube insert that internally made the extension better supported and the rear bolt location inside
the boom was farther back towards the rear of the hoist. Not in the last hole closest to the engine..

Food for thought for the membership.

Tom V.
yes im aware of the location of the boom, this is a 2 ton puller & the last spot is 1/2 ton. an aluminum head/intake pontiac doesnt weigh over 500lbs so it was safe. i was more worried at first about the lift plate on an aluminum intake than the boom/stand being stressed or breaking, but i also know lift plates are safe after using them multiple times with the trans connected to the engine.

ive pulled quite a few pontiacs & sbc's etc with the boom in that location when needed for the extra reach, no signs of over stressing the boom or puller itself... it is never even close to tipping over or needing extra weight put on the base. but i do keep it at 1-1.5 ton when the extra reach isnt needed.