Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe View Post
If I’m working in a two car 21x21 l, 8 foot ceiling garage with my car parked straight on in the right bay, and I’m only pulling the motor and leaving the 350 auto trans, is there any reason I can’t just pick the 400 over the left fender of my Lemans? I know the fender is a couple of inches higher than the nose. But, I think I’ve got room. Was going to use a plate on the intake for the pull. Was thinking lift it a bit, roll the car back an inch or two, and , then straight up and back into the left bay. That way my disabled car stays indoors. I need to re-gasket the pan and possibly replace the rear main. Provided I can prove it’s leaking. I think it’s a pan gasket leak out the back door. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can definitely pull the motor from the side & have enough room to pull it back while on the puller. ive done it a few times on 2nd gen firebirds in a 20' wide 2 stall garage. mainly on 79-81 with the longer nose that sometimes doesnt allow the puller to reach under the car far enough before the pump cylinder hits the nose. with the nose removed thats not an issue.

remove the front tires & lower the car down as much as possible & the entire engine with oil pan & all will lift up & over the fender. in this pic i didnt have to shorten the chain on the puller but doing so will give about 6" of extra lifting if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8469.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	603653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8466.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	603654  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: