View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
What's 'broken' that you need to do a 'quick fix' of swapping an 80 for a 60?

Why not put a high speed drill on the 80 pump and see what it's psi is?

Melling rates the pumps for max, and depends on a number of factors. From the factory, the 80 pump is about 70psi, and the 60 pump about 50 psi. (Straight from a Melling engineer, and the article is available online to verify this claim, have posted the link numerous times)

As for the ball, I know many do the ball swap, but personally, after 60+ engines, have never had a ball hang. If you disassemble a new pump and clean/check it, unless you have a lot of crap going thru your engine, the ball won't hang. And many have the same experience regarding as I have.

But if you want to swap the ball and shim it, go right ahead, but it's not needed. For a performance engine, and/or an HR cam build, just run the 80 pump, and you won't have to do any mods.

Here’s a link to my thread thought it’s a bit lengthy.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=858334

In a nutshell, 4700 mile rebuild, low oil pressure at idle, concerns with what I found in oil and filter so I pulled it and found worn bearings and a very low pump pickup. Pump was an 80 which I thought was considered overkill so I got a 60 as a replacement.

Brian