View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guys not old enough to really know about what went on in the 60s, The worst thing Pontiac did is not have tight bearing clearances when the cast cranks swelled enough to not have room for oil. Rod bearing spins and the rod starts knocking and breaks the rod. I've done too many autopsies on blown Pontiacs to think the cast rods were the biggest problem in their makeup. They're not a chevy, and everything that works on a chevy, doesn't necessarily work on a Pontiac.

Open the bearing clearances up, and that stops happening. Sorry I don't agree with his hypothesis. He talks about drag racing, which is no where near as hard on the rods as circle track racing is. My engines survived multiple seasons with cast rods, but I also ran looser bearing clearances than stock. Take a used engine right out of a car, throw it into a circle track car with stock clearances, and if you get 2 weeks out of it without spinning a rod bearing, consider yourself very lucky. SBC engine have much smaller rod journals, the cranks don't grow nearly as much with heat, and require less oil as a wedge, and to cool the bearing surfaces. SBCs do blow up, but with all the aftermarket support they're easier, and cheaper to build, and rebuild. I've seen plenty of sbc engines with rods hanging out of the blocks.

He talks about Beswick switching, engine brands, Arnie trailered a bunch of cars that were supposedly superior to his during the 60s. When the 70s came around there were a whole lot of chevy guys that also abandoned the BBC, and installed a hemi in their funny cars. The guy believes he knows what happened back then, but he wasn't there, he read about it somewhere, and listened to the wives tales that have been passed around about why Pontiacs can't cut the mustard in a 12 second car. The worst thing is he's perpetuating the BS stories.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: