View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Agree with this. I'm not fan of using the stop-leak stuff in vehicles that I actually care about. I know some automakers use it from the factory even, but that's because they are just trying to save every penny possible and avoid warranty service repair.
FWIW, if the sealer was a problem, then they would incur more warranty cost from using it. There are 2 pellets put into the cooling system when the car is new at the factory, just to head off any new car minor leaks. GM starts the cars out with sealer when new......

They've been doing this for decades, and all the major car manufactures use them.

Does it work 100% of the time? Well take it from someone that worked in a good many dealerships, no it doesn't stop all leaks. While working in a Buick dealership I changed dozens of head gaskets over 3 years that I worked there. We did try sealer before we pulled cylinder heads though. If it didn't work, then you had to bite the bullet and put head gaskets on.

BTW, it paid 4.6 hours to do a RWD Buick V6 under warranty. A good many weeks I took home less than 40 hours of pay due to those V6 Buick head gasket problems.

There were 6 gasket revisions back in the early 80s due to engineering screw ups in Buick V6s, and they cost me a ton of money. The worst case scenario, was having 2 stalls, with a head gasket job in them both........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: