View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuddy View Post
These rods are not all the same. I suggest you try the Hobart. Small packages on the shelf at Home Depot or Northern Tool.
Thanks for the advice so far but I'm a bit in the dark here. Basically I searched for this stuff at the usual suppliers over here in Australia but they could not commit to it being the same as what I had originally bought in the US like I said, 35 years ago.

Sure, they would sell me some aluminium welding rods, various types but the concept of it being "low melt" defeated them. I guess it all boils down to the fact that they don't want any liability if it all went wrong.

What I have here is an antique cast aluminium chandelier, (made of pot metal in reality), quite a complex and valuable light fitting almost certainly made in Europe over 100 years ago. It fell from the ceiling and I've been asked to repair it. I tried to weld a broken plate using the left over rods I had from the USA and I was really pleased how it joined. You heat the pot metal and touch on the low melt rod till it flows into the broken joint. So the pot metal is obviously a higher melt point than the rod. Works fantastically.

So what I'd like a little more info on please is what is the product you call HOBART?? Does it specify its melt point and does it mention it is good for repairing pot metal?

Thanks in advance

Ian