View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64cabro View Post
I tested the gauge and probe by putting the probe in boiling water (used a portable induction surface right there in the engine compartment) and the gauge was right on 210 when the water was boiling. In my book, that's plenty good.
I'll accept that as the gauge and sender being accurate enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64cabro View Post
I'll just need to pay closer attention next few times I'm out to see what's going on. Maybe it's all in my head and nothings wrong, just want to be cautious rather than sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
A non-air-conditioned vehicle that's actually running 220 at idle or cruise, is getting too hot. Not hot enough to cause damage, but hotter than a properly-functioning engine and cooling system should get. If you had a 195-degree thermostat, it'd be running too hot. Most likely, you've got a 180, and maybe a 160 degree thermostat, and 220 is just nucking futs.
SOMETHING is wrong, or your engine wouldn't be at 220 during idle or cruise. 220 at heavy throttle for short periods of time doesn't worry me, assuming it drops immediately when you close or mostly-close the throttle (idle or cruise.) 220 fairly constantly means there's problem(s) you haven't found and fixed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Horn 16 View Post
Running a hotter engine is never a good idea. You should leave it alone.
I say he should find the problem that's causing excess temperature at idle or cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Horn 16 View Post
The only reason that the engines were made to run that hot was for emissions. A cooler engine makes more power, and has more longevity. Heat makes metal more malleable, which increases the wear rate.
Emissions is a reason to put a higher-temp thermostat in the cooling system. OEM applications may not turn the electric fan on until 220 or so, and the second fan may not come on until the engine is even hotter.

Within reason, higher temps INCREASE engine life. "Malleability" is not a concern, detonation could be.

But 220 at idle or cruise isn't "within reason" for this vehicle. There's no problem for engine life per se due to the temperature, but power output will be down, chance of detonation could increase, and the detonation could cause engine damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: