View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64cabro View Post
I realize this thread it old, but I always look for "old" threads before asking a question .... but hopefully I get some feedback.

I'm not Mr. Knowledge when it comes to this mechanical tech, just know enough to know that I need to be careful and not screw something up.... which leads me to question how hot is too hot. I live in Central FL and right now is not necessarily the most enjoyable time to be out hot rodding.... hot air, hot pavement, hot sun, no AC (wha, wha, wha right?)

My Goat has a 455 from 1970 Bonneville. Only had the thing for a few months, and haven't driven it much, but only recently started paying attention to the temp gauge. On the day that raised concern a week or so ago when I decided to pay attention to the temp gauge and it was around 220 degrees and I realized that I have no idea "how hot is too hot" and if I needed to shut it down or not. Reading this thread, I'm somewhat comforted by seeing some of you guys say 220 is OK, but worried when others say 220 is too hot and others talk about driving in AZ and never getting up to 200.

As far as I'm aware, the radiator, fan and pump would be considered stock, though they're all new and rebuilt thanks to a pretty top-quality resto-mod by my dad that he completed a few years ago. "What's wrong with my goat?" is what goes through my mind when I think of why it's not running below 200. I could rationalize that cooler is better, but sounds like that's not NECESSARILY the case.

Looking for dad-type advice on when I need to be concerned, but I'm guessing some answers might include the words "it depends" on X, Y and Z.

Any and all feedback will counted as value and appreciated. Already grateful for the exchange below! I asked dad and he said he can't remember.... he's suffering medically and recalling technical facts and answers like he once could is no longer his strong suit....unfortunately. He did suggest I turn to the forums to read up and ask questions!
If mine got in the 220 range I would be VERY nervous…. And I live not far from you. Better a little Cooler than hot in my book. Ambient temperatures WILL make a huge difference.

fWIW:
I generally creep to 180 at maximum while in traffic at a standstill with 90-100 degree ambient temps on a hot FL summer day…. Temps will drop to thermostat temps with the car moving again. When ambient temps start dropping to the 80 degree range the engine will stay at tstat temp

Chasing cooling temps can be a hobby until you find what works…….waaaaaaayyyyy too many variables especially since you are living in a hot and humid environment, your cooling system needs to be well sorted.

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile