View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
So C.A.R.B. began in the late 60s, EPA in the early 70s, and we all know what happened to performance in the 70s.

What bothers me most these days is MPGs. Why do new cars suck gas? The tech is there, these econo cars should be over 60 MPG. Shoot, some of the 60s and 70s car get better MPG than some new cars. Not even going to bring trucks into this topic, it's just ridiculous what MPGs they get.

Arent newer cars significantly heavier? Not that I dont agree that they should be doing better on mpg than they are. Pickup trucks are especially embarrassing. My standard short box 2017 ram gets 19 mpg and weighs 6000 lbs. But I think many econoboxes of yore weighed notably less than todays cars. Mostly safety stuff, and i dont think anybody would argue that modern cars are safer in an impact.

Im always surprised that hybrid technology hasnt affected more car models. The industry wants to just straight to electric, but it always seemed to me that we could make hyrbid motors much more efficient and take our time getting the entire nation/infastructure ready to go full electric.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports