View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64cabro View Post
only recently started paying attention to the temp gauge. On the day that raised concern a week or so ago when I decided to pay attention to the temp gauge and it was around 220 degrees
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
1) I would verify that the temp gauge is truly reading 220 degrees F.
More to the point, make sure the engine is actually at 220 when the gauge says it is. It's easy and common for both the sending units and the gauge heads to be inaccurate.

A non-air-conditioned vehicle that's actually running 220 at idle or cruise, is getting too hot. Not hot enough to cause damage, but hotter than a properly-functioning engine and cooling system should get. If you had a 195-degree thermostat, it'd be running too hot. Most likely, you've got a 180, and maybe a 160 degree thermostat, and 220 is just nucking futs.

Quote:
Dad put 500 miles on the odometer after finishing the restoration, and I've put about 500 on it. Total rebuild of the engine by an engine guru near home, so the coolant is "old" (2016) but not very used (mileage). Based on that guru's reputations, I'm willing to assume that the water pump impeller clearance is correct as I've read that can cause poor flow.
I would not want to make assumptions.

Quote:
The radiator is filled up just enough to cover the core, so I know there's at least plenty of coolant in there.
Does this vehicle have a coolant overflow jug? If so, the radiator should be filled to the top, and verified to blow the excess into the jug when hot--and then recover that coolant back to the radiator when the engine cools off.

In other words, the coolant level in the overflow jug would vary--highest when hot, lowest when cold, with the radiator being F-U-L-L 100% of the time.

Quote:
I'll start with testing the temp sensor and maybe the t-stat. Flushing the cooling system wouldn't be that hard for me either if it might help.

How important is a 50:50 mix of coolant and water to the cooling performance?

Does the age of the coolant (going on 5 years now easily) make a difference?
50/50 coolant makes enormously less difference than some folks want to admit. They'll be quick to tell you that plain water transfers heat better than "antifreeze"; but if the difference between running at the correct temp, or running too hot depends on the ratio of antifreeze to water, SOMETHING ELSE IS WRONG.

I've run as much as 80% antifreeze. My engine didn't overheat.

"I" would be very reluctant to replace 1000-mile coolant without a very good reason. Yeah, it's at the limit for age; but that also assumes use which your vehicle doesn't have. Point being, it's not the age of the coolant that's causing the engine to run hot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: