View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
JMO! If you do away with the head-up runs then it nothing but another bracket class. Why have it?

Stan
Yeah, that's what all the quick guys on the Class Racer forum say.

But, you can't just pull your bracket car into the Stock tech line & hope to pass tech. Ain't gonna happen.

You must build your car according to Stock Elim rules. There have been some new combos come along, which required very little work to get 'em under the index. For most, NHRA eventually increases the hp factor to a point where those combos do not have a big advantage over some of the more popular combos.

The Stock class cars must run an engine that was originally available in the body used. For MOST combos(NOT ALL), you'll need careful engine prep, including the correct cam & head work. You'll need exactly the right converter & gears for the combo. And, obviously, you'll have to have the suspension set up to hook, with 9" slicks. These are usually basic requirements in order to build a car that will run under it's index.

Also, the interior of the car must be real close to how it came from the factory. Can't just have everything stripped out, like bracket cars are. I was told that we couldn't race our Stockers, as long as the holes where the radio had been were not covered. Of course there have been some changes & relaxing of some rules, since then. The cars must meet minimum weight requirements.

Lots of guys see this as a challenge, to get their car under the index, but within the rules. That's enuff reason to run Stock, for some.

This is compared to a bracket car, where there are not many rules, accept safety rules. Any brand or size engine, with any heads, cam, intake, carb, hood scoop, any size tires, with any rear suspension. Can be much lighter than the car was, from the factory. Dial your own ET, no minimum unless track has a minimum for a certain class. If your too slow for one class, you just run a lower class.

I dare say that your average bracket racer could not build a Stocker that would run under the index. And most could not afford to pay someone to build one for 'em.

MANY, if not MOST of the serious Stock racers are quick to tell you that they have spent LOTS of money on their car, so that they could race a car that would run WELL below it's index. And most are very vocal about the fact that they don't like it when some guy comes in with a "dime rocket" that has a chance to win the race, if they can avoid same-class heads-up rounds.

Yeah, MANY, not all, of the guys with high dollar cars, really look down their nose at the low budget guys & their barely-under-the-index dime rockets. And MANY really don't like bracket racers, & seem to think most just don't have enuff money & intelligence to build a Stocker. I'm absolutely sure that many of those guys would drop lots of F-bombs on me if they read this. But, whether I say it, or somebody else says it, it's absolutely the truth. "Just the facts ma'am."

AND, I have no doubt that MANY of the guys with the quick cars would quit racing instantly, if the same-class heads-up runs were eliminated. For many, their most pleasure in racing is winning an occasional heads-up round. In fact, for many, it is probably the MAIN reason they race. And that is especially true if the guy is not a very good bracket racer. Or, in other words, if he can't cut good lights & run consistent times.