View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster G View Post
Thanks again for all the info and links. I pulled a valve cover and found screw in rocker studs so I everything seems to tally with the various sources for 98cc's.

Now I just need to find a copy if Jim Hands book for so I can port them.

Is there a recomended maximum that can be skimmed from these heads to further reduce the chamber volume. I guess there will be a point where this becomes counter productive if piston to valve clearance becomes close and the piston needs more valve releif.

Also would these heads benefit from 1.65 rockers. I would be looking to combine them with something along the lines of a RA4 041 cam.

Cheers
John
I could be wrong, but I have understood that typically a 041 cam needs much more compression than you make to work properly;
unless you plan on zero decking the block, cc'ing the heads, and calculating for which head gasket you intend to use (all to get the proper compression needed) I would advise against it.

I believe that Cliff Ruggles did some extensive testing of a 9.0:1 (or very close) 455 build with a 041 cam, and some others - which may be of great benefit to you.

There are also a couple members here that have shared seemingly basic builds, and have netted stellar results - it's all about with attention to detail, and matching parts;
You really might be interested in some threads relative to "pure stock" type builds.

I say all this because I have understood that although an 8:1 engine can make a bunch of power, it can also be a dog if over cammed.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)