Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
This is the variant that provided the best performance....

Unfortunately, with a RPM intake it is the only setup I’m able to run without modding the hood.
that base & lid looks nice. very similar to what i run on a 72 firebird with a formula hood that has terrible clearance & doesnt allow for an RPM or other taller intake, i run a SD ported HO intake & Q-jet.

the base & lid i use is a W72 T/A style with the wide oval snorkel, it has the smaller lid like yours from the factory that leaves about 1-2" of the air filter exposed around the perimeter & has a tall dome for clearance to the top of the carb. after reading your results i will just keep this set up & not mess with aftermarket drop bases.

i did try a k&n filter lid the first time at the track with no hood on the car, ran 12.2... with no other changes besides the W72 air cleaner & installing a hood i was in to the mid to upper 11's the next time out. changing to M/T drag radials from worn out BFG drag radials i was doing low 11's. these were all different days so the improvements are hard to say what changes did what, but they were almost a half second each change.

good to know the factory drop base are close to the best set up for a q-jet. i like the epoxy mods jim hand did, kind of like a "stub stack" for the q-jet.