View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 01:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Exactly!!!
I not wanting to sound like a negative nelly...

The idea needs time and money spent on it!

The whole “Electrifying the world” idea, won’t work, UNTIL someone(s) figure out how to generate massive amounts of electricity, without using coal or natural gas to make it happen! Efforts are ongoing now, in a few directions, BUT are still more expensive to do than fossil fuels.

My take on the electric car is a complete zero... just my opinion. The first car manufacturer that drop out of the electric car clusterflub, will be a huge winner!!!

Smokey Yunick fiddled with hydrogen, many moons ago. His dilemma has the ability to control the burning of hydrogen. He couldn’t control the combustion process. The burn really liked to turn into a boom, instead.

The Hindenburg is a reminder of how volitole “H” is!!! If there was a way to make hydrogen safe, THAT would be our needed answer!
[/QUOTE]QUOTE=hurryinhoosier62;6303244]The late actor Dennis Weaver built a practical, road worthy Buick Le Sabre powered by hydrogen in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The only changes to the vehicle were its stainless steel fuel tubing and the hydride tank in the trunk. The greatest threat of hydrogen as a fuel are its “reactivity”(BOOM!...that is why Weaver used stainless steel fuel tubing) and how to protect a hydride tank from a rear collision. It IS viable , but needs far more research to make it practical.[/QUOTE]

The Ford Motor Company built (with BP -the oil company) 53 Hydrogen Buses (posted about this many times) that accumulated 100,000s of total Hydrogen miles. The Vehicles were at Airports as Shuttle Buses, at the Canadian Parliament to shuttle law-makers,
in the Dearborn, Michigan Ford Engineering complex, in Epcot Center in Florida, and at places in California.

We put GOOD Hydrogen fuel tanks (6 of them) in the rear "trunk space" of the vehicles, not under the vehicles).
No issue what-ever with BOOM or Hindenburg type events. (Hindenburg was a balloon, gez!!!!!!!!).

That being said, as was posted by HH62, Dennis Weaver and others did play with hydrogen as a fuel.
In the 7 years I worked on the program we never had ONE event of a Hydrogen Fire.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	579820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus-2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	579821   Click image for larger version

Name:	FordE-450.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	579822  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: