View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Not trying to stir the pot here, but stories like this are why I changed my mind (at least for now) about installing an aftermarket EFI system in my '66. That was my original plan, and I installed the EFI fuel tank and plumbed my chassis for EFI, but decided to stick with a carburetor for now. There are just too many stories of ECUs fizzling out after a few months or a few years. IMO, the aftermarket companies have not yet reached an OEM level of reliability with their electronics. They can work well when functioning correctly, but it seems like there are a lot of people who say they have to spend just as much time fiddling with the EFI system on an ongoing basis as they did a carb, only the EFI systems are more complicated and expensive to repair.
In fairness, this is an internet forum, so mostly what we hear about are problems. Very few take their time to post success stories by comparison. I'm sure there's been more than one carbureted car with an electric fuel pump burn to the ground from a stuck float... And by the same token, my Mom owned a Saturn that needed the factory ecu replaced three times...
Everyone should enjoy that there are so many options to choose from.