View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're right, overdrives aren't cheap no matter which way you go, unless you just happen to have them laying around and the skills to rebuild yourself.

There are all kinds of rebuild kits all over the internet. They range from a couple hundred to several hundred. I used to buy kits wholesale from TransStar years ago. I've rebuilt a few for people I knew and just charged a couple hundred labor plus parts, but I don't make a habit of it. It's somewhat tedious work and a little time consuming, at least my methods are, and I'm not charging enough for it. That labor charge is not the norm however as many mom and pop shops will be closer to $1000. More with bigger name places that critique certain models.

I've built my own stuff for years but when it came to a 4L80E I didn't have a core anymore (had one and sold it like a dummy) and didn't have the time to roam the junk yards. So I called Hughes. They are local, supplied the correct year core I wanted, and built it (850hp version with a few tricks in the older case) That was running around $2000 at the time but prices everywhere have jumped up quite a bit since then. I think just about everyone that offers a fresh 4L80E now like Jakes, Hughes and others are well over the $2000 mark. By the time you do a decent lockup stall converter you're at another $800 minimum and most charge $1200 and up. Controller is $800 (I recommend US Shift), ShiftWorks conversion for most shifters will be close to another $200. If you have fab skills your cross member can be made to work, otherwise another $200-$350 for a custom piece. You can shorten your existing driveshaft and rebalance for about $200 (local to me) but I usually opt for just having a new shaft made that is stronger anyway and that usually runs up around $600. Will sustain higher critical speeds with the overdrive and hold about 1000 HP if you opt for the 1350 joint version. Never have to worry about it.

You can see how it all starts adding up.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE