View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Not pointing fingers. Just making a point. Ive never used a 200, but I have annihilated several mildly built 700s which are supposed to be the stronger of the family. So Im clearly biased here. It all depends how you drive it. My dad always brags he could make a stock t5 last behind 600 ft lbs for years. He is probably right. My dad is incredibly boring. It wouldnt last under my right foot.

I also thought that the 200s were an expensive build even in the mild build category. I could be wrong, but I thought you were staring down the barrel at about $2000 no matter what level of build you wanted from a reputable builder.

I kinda think the world "mild" when it comes to making power with cars has changed dramatically since the 1990s. I mean my motor is pretty mild. I think my duration at .050 is like 236. I dont think I would trust a factory Monte 200R4 behind what qualifies for mild here in 2021. I DO think you could reasonably trust a yanked 4l80e even with miles on it already.

Thats really what this comes down to I think. Would you rather have a new 200r4 with all the money into the trans itself. Or a used 4l80e with most of the money into what it took to swap the unit in. I would bet you end up fairly close in dollars.
im not pointing fingers either, just wanted to reply to the point i was making. the OP has 400hp & will use it as a daily driver... to me thats very mild & well within the range of a good working 200r. & definitely applies to the "all depends on how you drive it" factor.

200s are no more expensive to build with common parts as a 700 or 350 from a reputable trans shop, im not talking about the race parts they need to live behind high power/torque engine, just good quality clutch packs & other parts. if any shop wants $2000 to do a basic trans rebuild... find a new shop! you can buy a strong art carr 200r complete for $2000-2500 & they claim they handle something like 600hp & provide a warranty.

mild to me is more along the lines of adding maybe 100-200 hp over the stock rating... ~350-400hp with iron heads & pump gas... not an engine like your or my stroker with aum heads, forged internals & cams in the upper 230 to mid 240 duration etc etc. 600 hp is not really "mild' for a street car regardless of the era, even though i do agree its pretty easy to make that kind of power today. just to clarify, HPP said factory GN & monte 200s behind mild built cars, & back then or today that was 350-400hp tops... & as a street cruiser not being raced or abused to much.