View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only problem I have with a yanked 4L80E is mileage and how it was taken care of. Most people in the last 20 years couldn't care less about changing transmission fluid, and most of those 4L80E's were used in trucks hauling and towing heavy loads. Many of them, if you can find one, have well over 150,000 to 200,000 miles already.

I was told by an employee at Hughes that cores are now getting harder to find, hence the core prices have increased nearly double. In fact, he wanted to buy all the 400 turbos I have laying here as they are also getting more difficult to find.

For me personally, sticking a used one in the car just isn't an option. With everything else built and restored throughout the car, installing a used trans just doesn't sound appealing, lol.

I don't mean to steer anyone away from a 4L80E, but any trans that is 15-20 years old I'd expect at least a basic rebuild should be in order, with new solenoids and wire harness included to minimize problems.

The good thing is that rebuilding one isn't all that expensive. You don't have to beef them really at all up to 750-850hp. I good basic rebuild with quality clutches/steels isn't hard to do. If you can rebuild a 350/400 turbo you can do a 4L80E. In fact most fresh 4L80's offered by vendors advertise 750-850hp with nothing more than a solid rebuild. Only difference between that and the 1000HP models is a billet input shaft.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-06-2021 at 01:43 PM.