View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
nobody is arguing the 4l80 isnt a better/stronger trans... my comment was that a 200r built to a basic moderate level can handle 400hp pretty easy, especially on a daily driver seeing mostly street/highway use. the high end expensive builds are more for racers & the 500-600hp cars. back in the 90's HPP magazine was suggesting stock 200r's from the GNs & monte ss as a drop in for mild built pontiacs.
Not pointing fingers. Just making a point. Ive never used a 200, but I have annihilated several mildly built 700s which are supposed to be the stronger of the family. So Im clearly biased here. It all depends how you drive it. My dad always brags he could make a stock t5 last behind 600 ft lbs for years. He is probably right. My dad is incredibly boring. It wouldnt last under my right foot.

I also thought that the 200s were an expensive build even in the mild build category. I could be wrong, but I thought you were staring down the barrel at about $2000 no matter what level of build you wanted from a reputable builder.

I kinda think the world "mild" when it comes to making power with cars has changed dramatically since the 1990s. I mean my motor is pretty mild. I think my duration at .050 is like 236. I dont think I would trust a factory Monte 200R4 behind what qualifies for mild here in 2021. I DO think you could reasonably trust a yanked 4l80e even with miles on it already.

Thats really what this comes down to I think. Would you rather have a new 200r4 with all the money into the trans itself. Or a used 4l80e with most of the money into what it took to swap the unit in. I would bet you end up fairly close in dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 10-06-2021 at 01:00 PM.