View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All depends on the application of the car... mech pumps do "work fine" on millions of classic cars before the factory put e-pumps in the tank. Its only for fast drag racers that an e-pump or big fuel lines are needed.

For the majority of street/strip cars up to about mid 12's a mech pump does work & is very reliable, or at least they were before the china made stuff. I used an edelbrock mech pump at first on a ~520hp pump gas engine that made that number on a dyno, worked great on the street and down to low 12's at the track on first time out with crappy tires but cut out trying to go any faster. Once I got new tires & a robbmc 1100 pump with some tuning sorted out on the car it went 11.2-11.3 at 121-123mph, but does still have occasional cut out on some runs.

I agree an E pump is best for these types of cars, but a mech works fine for street and most street/strip cars running in the mid to upper 12's. Intank is nice with the baffles, but I have heard of & seen way too many cars on the side of the road with failed loud external pumps. In tank is in my future but the deadhead mech works pretty darn good down to low 11s which is a lot more than I expected from this engine/car.