View Single Post
Old 09-23-2023, 12:07 PM

Default Carburetor Rebuild

About 4 years ago I rebuilt my Rochester model BC and it has never run right. Car has been idling a little rough and stalling when I slow down.
I recently tried to buy a rebuilt carb. on Ebay and that didn't work out when they sent me wrong carb.

I used a Delco Rochester rebuild kit initially. I decided to try and rebuild my carb again this time using a new Walker kit. As I removed carb and dismantled, this is what I found.

Carb to manifold gasket wrong with center hole too large. I found a gasket I can use amungst my stuff that has metal inside. The incorrect gasket was paper and half of it stuck to intake when I tried to remove it.

The vacuum tube from carb base to choke housing had no packing under the hex nut. I didn't know one belonged here till I read the Tempest shop manual more thoroughly. The Walker kit comes with this thick packing. I also applied some clear silicone where the choke tube goes into carb base to prevent vacuum leakage there.

I didn't even know till yesterday that the Delco Rochester kit came with a tool for setting floats at correct level. The shop manual shows this tool as J-9190.
I previously had not made any float level adjustments.

After everything was back together I started the engine and it idled smoothly but had a gas leak where the filter goes in. I put a large 1" wrench on it and it felt snug but I cranked it down tighter and was able to stop the leak.

This morning I drove the car around town for about 5 minutes and it didn't stall!! I'm thinking that the vacuum leaks were causing stalling and idling issues. I need to read the shop manual more thoroughly when doing a job like this so that I don't miss important things like the choke tube packing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01608.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	620409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01606.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	620410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01602.jpg
Views:	73