View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reviving thread again... I replaced a brand new Pertronix dizzy in my 81 TA last night. I bought a used stock HEI from a board member here. It was 915 when I finished and figured I would hit it today. I got home at 6 and ate some dinner and went out in the garage to put the wires on, I put them on and cranked the starter and it fired right up. The initial timing I set at 12*, I let it gain some heat and adjusted the choke a bit leaner. This engine would idle at 450 rpm smoother than a babys butt, but I adjusted to about 750 rpm, the idle screws needed 1/2 turn out more too, vacuum went from 15" to 16.5". I let it warm fully and drove it tonite. WHAT A DIFFERENT FREAKING CAR!!! Smokes tires with ease, no more black puffs on start up, and great throttle response!!! Still probably a high 14 second car at best but it does everything I want it to now. Some differences I noticed in the two dizzys was the gears were cut very different, the weights were floppy as hell, the cap seemed to never line up correctly...even off the car. So happy! I'll have another problem though you guys can help with...rest assured.