View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to ursusarctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The 4/10 difference might be from the fact that there were TWO PEOPLE in
the Roger Huntington test cars data. Roger was paralyzed from the chest down when he was 15 years old. No way he could drive the test cars.

So a driver always drove the test cars and Roger Huntington recorder the test data with a stop watch from the driver's seat.

https://www.mmshof.org/index.php/ind...ger-huntington

So there are a lot of other external FACTS, not guesses, that you might not be considering in your assumptions.

Tom V.
I have the June 1970 Car & DRIVER but not June 1970 Car LIFE.
The Car Life was 14.40 at ___ MPH?
Car & Driver was 14.10 at 103.2mph.
That 103.2 is what strikes me as pretty high for the 068 cam, but ok maybe they had just a driver or good weather or both, they don't say.
Does the June 70 Car Life car spec out same as the Car & Driver car?

Usually in the old road tests (or even old NHRA) if it's a big motor, I look more at MPH & almost ignore ET, traction was so bad that ET could be just about anything +/- 0.5 sec or more. Of course even MPH depended on total race weight, which also drives me nuts cuz often the magazines would list shipping weight, so often not clear what weight they meant.

One other hint I realized to look for on the confusing 345hp is:
345hp @ 5400 1969 RA4-041cam
345hp @ 5000 1970 RA3-068
So when the article text says 345@5000, we can at least assume they're AWARE of the 1970 specs & not just using the old 1969 "345hp=RA4" spec.
Still not definitive, I just like making sense of the old history.
There will never be another era like that!