View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
Even before we talk about converters let’s get the engine to live and not beat itself apart!

The stock valve installed height of 67 and up D port 400 heads heads will not accept .488” lift without cutting the tops of the valve guides down a good amount or running longer valves.

On to the cam , the factory never used a cam like your thinking of running duration wise without atleast 3.55 gears and a dead on 10 to one compression or a tad better.

I would rethink your cam and with only 3.08 gears and 4000 lbs go with no more then a converter with 2200 stall.

You will want a separate trans cooler also,
Thanks! The valve guides were cut down and positive seals were installed. This is not a "brand new" engine. It has a couple thousand miles on it already. It also has a set of Comp Cams valve springs (CCA-988-16) and retainers (CCA-743-16).

The engine is already together and works... I'm kind of hesitant to swap the cam, simply because it seems all we hear about anymore are flat tappet camshaft and lifter failures and I really don't want to risk sending bits of metal through my engine because I got a bum lifter. If I do swap cams it will only be with a hydraulic roller.

I'm on the waiting list for the next run of 3.55:1 gears for Pontiac B body axles from Fabcraft... If they ever make another run that is.

Sadly, AFTER I bought this axle and spent a bunch of money on getting it up to snuff, a 3.42:1 limited slip axle shows up on the forum.

If money was no object I would buy a wide ratio Tremec TKX and drop it in with the new engine, but that's another $5-6k, so I'm gonna have to wait and save for it.

1973 Grand Prix SJ (currently doing a rolling restoration)

Trying to find that "sweet spot" between Roadkill and Concours d'Elegance

Last edited by Mwieczorek; 05-18-2022 at 09:40 AM.