View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
There is nothing in the shift linkage that will cause a TH400 to start in second gear instead of first gear.
Is this a question or statement?

I have been searching for a reason for a while. I even followed instructions to troubleshoot the governor. It was not stuck or sticking when I removed it; all parts moved freely.

I checked the shifter cable. I even removed the shifter to insure that the cable allowed travel from park to low position on transmission.

If anything, I thought that driving without the kick-down switch connected caused a problem.

I cannot manually shift into low while driving. It will shift from drive into second speed only.

If it does start off in 1st/low, it is not detectable to me. I only feel and hear it shift once.

The engine is a 428 with 68 intake and 77 quadrajet. It used to have 041 cam and 4.10 ratio. I removed the Moroso Brute Strength for a 3 series carrier and now use 3.08 and 068 camshaft. It should still start from a standstill with good effort. My Saturn L200 feels like it has more pull.

That's why I was asking about over-the-counter replacement to install.

I used to go to Dudley's Transmission. Somebody else owned it and was in North Las Vegas but they shut down.

Last edited by East; 10-12-2021 at 07:50 PM.