View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Maybe it won't help with the traction problem"

Traction is NOT an engine problem. It's tires and suspension. Since you are tire limited that will continue to be an issue. The larger cam on a wider LSA will spread out the power (torque) but still make more of it everyplace. The smoother power will be more locomotive like so may not hit the tires quite as hard as the smaller cam but I still doubt if you will be able to hold it without slicks or DOT's and a well prepared track.

I am glad you were able to wade thru the BS put up after my first post. Every single time I show the direct comparison between the HR276HR cam and the OF out on a 114LSA we get to see some trolling around on Google hard enough to find some dyno runs with that cam and post after me. Instead of looking at the dyno chart and saying "man that is a NICE improvement in power and even better with smoother idle and no detonation" we get to look at other select examples which are meaningless as none of them were back to back on the same dyno and same engine with no other changes.

I have also been asked to custom tuned some troubled 455 engines that used the XR276HR cam and a few that used it's flat tappet cousin the XE268, something few if any on here have had the opportunity to do. If I'm wrong there put up the details where an extremely DISATISFIED customer who had dumped nearly $10,000 into a custom 455 engine build was horribly unhappy with that cam even with moderate compression and aluminum heads. So much so that after the engine builder, all his friends, beer drinking buddies, local "gurus" and even the wife's boyfriend couldn't make it run for chit he was ready to push the entire car down over the hill and buy a bass boat instead!. I can't say "turd" loud enough here. Those cams are poor choices for well thought out 455 builds with good flowing heads and moderate compression. They also make a LOT of cylinder pressure early in the RPM range and can be octane sensitive even if the static compression isn't all that high.

You will notice that Butler started offering that cam and quite a few others on wider LSA's, that did not happen by accident. It happened right after I had a talk with them and sent them the dyno chart comparison. Whether they used the info or were already on that path who knows, but for sure they started offering some much better custom ground HR camshafts which has been nothing but good for our hobby.......FWIW.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),