View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if I should change my cam.
The car is a 66 GTO with 462cui, E-heads, 10.25:1 CR, 4 speed Muncie, 3:55 gears performer intake with Sniper EFI.

The cam is a hydraulic roller with 224/230/110 degree.
The idea is to use a 236/245/112 (old faithful) and maybe another intake.

I think it's a rather small cam at the moment and I have too much low end torque for street tires.
What could I expect? Is it worth the money and time?

Thanks!!
Chris
I just saw this and thought that maybe a gear change might be easier like going to 3.23 or 3.08 if this is to be a street car you can afford to drive. If it is running great, I would hate to mess with it. It does not sound like you need MORE power but being a four speed does make just a gear change more of an issue that if it was an automatic. For street use, the factory cams were probably about as good as you can get, but you clearly have more than the factory intended. I don't know if RHOADS lifters would help, but would sure be simpler than a cam change. With the right adjustment, you might be able to bleed off a lot of the duration and lift at low RPM. I had Rhoads on a couple cars, and the ticking is not an issue for me, except when listening directly under the hood. Changing to Rhoads and experimenting with different weight oils might be worth trying if a gear change doesn't make sense for a 4 speed.

Last edited by dmac; 08-26-2021 at 10:22 PM.