Thread: Offset cam keys
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't ever go back and look at a double roller chain after you've put a few miles on your vehicle? Even the highest end double roller chains stretch out considerably after they have been placed in service.

I've been the lucky one to have to go back into a few engines we've done here, usually to freshen them up after several years of pretty hard street/strip use. I recently had this conversation with a board member here when he was having some issues and he went in only to find his high-end double roller chain on billet sprockets with about a foot of slop in it!

We don't hear too much about these things simply because most folks woln't put 1000 miles on their car in the next 20 years. A few of my customers drive their cars a lot and all have had issues with double roller timing sets getting pretty loose after 25,000-30,000 miles.

For my own engines I use the factory 3/4" wide stock type Morse timing sets. My current engine has one in it and I had to remove the timing cover recently due to a coolant leak. The chain was still tight and only very light witness marks on the top sprocket. I do use the older variety with the heat treated gears buying them off of Ebay when they become available. I'm not sure if the current production stuff is as good but it's still better than any of the lower end "bicycle" variety trying to do the same thing......IMHO.

I attached a few pics, the last one is what is currently showing up if you buy a new stock type set, iron gears but still has a USA made chain on it. I wouldn't be afraid to use one.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2084.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	568506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	568507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	568508   Click image for larger version

Name:	51oMlbpgpoL.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	568509  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),