View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnapier View Post
Tom S - Thank you for the offer, my neighbor has one. I'll look to satisfy my curiosity, but the engine needs to come out regardless of what I see in the hole.

m.
If it is a timing chain or dropped/bent/sticking valve, engine may not need to come out. With plugs pulled, stick a screwdriver in plug holes and scope the cylinders that have pistons at top of cylinder. Pull valve covers and pay particular attention to those cylinders. I had valves float and get hit by a piston. and stop running. If you had your foot off the gas, that could be enough to stop engine. I had no internal damage- just needed a new valve and guide. After that I put in new lifters . I did have a 'friend' mechanic put together a Ford 302 for me that completely dropped a valve due to valve locks installed wrong, and my girlfriend drove it hundreds of miles, with a hole in the piston.

That doesn't account for the spark plugs, but maybe those somehow got by you when installing. Hopefully something simple. Trying to be hopeful with my reply.May just need heads pulled or timing cover removed. Seems like a snapped timing chain could make it impossible to turn engine. I've never had that issue.

I missed the whole second page of replies before posting this. Still hope it is minor, or relatively minor.

Last edited by dmac; 09-09-2020 at 05:41 PM.