View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"i ran a t2 with a 1 inch open spacer on my 65 gto, then decided to try an rpm. then decided to try the spacer on the rpm. now i have a tiny little dent in my hood from the air cleaner stud. i need a good reminder that i am stupid every now and again, and that dent is in the perfect spot to remind me pretty often"...

I did that once about 40 years ago. Was helping a friend with his 1967 Chevy II Nova and we just installed a high rise intake and aftermarket carb. Ya, I did some of that stupid chit back in those days before I figured out it was all just bling.

The new shiny parts looked so cool under the hood we were in a big hurry for a test ride. I slammed the hood down, darned thing wouldn't close...WTF? So I slammed it harder and just about got it close with a little extra help from all my weight on the front of it.

I looked up then to see a really nice big dimple in the center of the hood....OOOPS!....
i keep thinking about going back to the t2 and spacer. seemed like it pulled maybe a smidge harder than the RPM, it’s a 505 with old faithful and a stick shift. but with the RPM intake it just tractors up the driveway in first gear at 1000 rpm which is nice, less likely to kick up gravel on the finish. i seem to remember the t2 and open spacer was just a little soggier off idle and took more finesse to get it up the driveway slowly.

funny, i started off thinking i was building a race car - aftermarket block, ported e-heads, electric fuel pump, solid roller, driveshaft loop and strange s60, electric fans, etc. since then i’ve gone back to a hyd roller and mechanical fuel pump, might swap out the fan for a mechanical as well. i probably would have been just as happy with a basic 389 four barrel stock hyd flat combo ... didn’t realize how tame i’d become in my 40’s!