View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for informational purposes I chose an RPM for my engine based specifically on that SD test that was linked. At the time I thought that engine was very similar to where mine would be so it seemed a good match. Ultimately my mill made a little more power. Probably because I have a little more head flow and my RPM was ported a little. I dont know exactly what, I bought it used off this board. The Ad said "Ported to match 300 CFM heads" I think the divider is notched but its been forever since I actually looked at it.

I generally feel like you can choose an RPM across any brand with a 300-550ish HP motor and feel very confident you didnt make a bad choice. Thats not to say its the best everytime, but its just damn consistent good. I think you can probably say the same about SD worked cast Pontiac intakes.

Now with all that said, if I had to do it over again, I think I would go for a single plane in my case. It seems like some of the old stigma that single plane intakes "make more numbers up top but give up too much down low" may be antiquated. Again, with a 500ish HP modern efficient headed build it seems like modern single planes like the VIctor Jr you dont give up as much meat in the middle as old conventional wisdom would dictate while making notable gains on the top end. Ive seen quite a few dyno sheets over the last few years to back this up, as well as episodes of Engine Masters etc.

Im not versed enough in Pontiac single planes to say what the Poncho version of the Victor Jr would be. I know the Torker II with a spacer has quite a following around here, where they are considered less useful by Brand X motors. Im not sure if thats the lack of availability of better single planes on Pontiac motors or if the Torker II Pontiac intake is flat out better than the Chevrolet version of the same intake.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports