View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
The first dirt track race car we built had some frame damage that needed fixed before we could get it ready to race. The car was a wrecked 71 t37. The car’s owner took it to a frame shop and the guy running the frame shop told the car owner that he only needed a left front brake, not the right. He claimed it was because racing on the oval track cars always turned to the left. The thinking was that way when you hit the brakes, it pulled you away from the wall. That was what the driver of the car relayed to us anyway, we never talked to the frame guy. So since we were new at that, we listened to the “expert”. Then, first race… Watching from the grand stands as our driver hits the brakes, totally looses control of the car from the one left brake, and takes out the 40’ of the outer fence and a railroad tie buried 4 ft in the ground….LESSON learned..A car needs 4 brakes. LOL
Even though I heard that crap from a self appointed expert many years ago when I first started building, and driving dirt oval cars, I never tried it. Some sprint cars don't have RF brakes either, but they never turn right very well anyway, due to being a single purpose built chassis.

I believe that if you're using no RF brake to turn the car into a corner, your chassis is so far off, that you need that for a crutch ..........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: