View Single Post
Old 09-03-2023, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I don't know if this is a KP filter but it's a similar stainless mesh design and it didn't favor too well.

Lake Speed Jr (total seal) just did a comparison between a regular Wix and a stainless mesh filter with purposely contaminated oil and sent samples off for oil analysis. I didn't catch which brand wire mesh filter was used but it did horribly.
Maybe there are better examples of that style filter but this certainly wasn't one of them. It had a profound affect on ring seal because after an hour of run time the engine lost a fair amount of HP on the dyno. It's an interesting test if nothing else.

https://youtu.be/bVEbHTNWxoQ

I watched this video last week. I'd never put one of the reusable filters on any engine I had a sizeable investment in.

These guys are from Total Seal, and stress that every new ring break in will yield a fair bit of metal solids into the fresh oil. It's all explained very well in the video how the paper media was head and shoulders over the reusable metal media.

They subscribe to the same school of thought, that any size
solid that can be removed from the oil is going to prolong oil, and engine life. The 30 micron filtering that a reusable filter removes, just isn't sufficient, and could cost you an engine over a period of time.

Another study suggests that just rinsing the screens in a reusable filter may leave a lot of solids still in the screen, they suggest ultra sonic cleaning to dislodge the stubborn particulate, over just flushing with solvent.

Watch the video, and decide if you want to use one on your equipment.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated