View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969400HO View Post
Guess I missed the part you said all was well running till you filled up at a gas station, "then" things went bad gradually.
How does to run "ok" then after fueling went "bad" when you were driving?
And now find plug wires mixed up?

That I don't understand at all.

Was running good, then fueled up, then degraded fairly rapidly, worsening seemingly, barely running.

Put about a 1/2 gallon from the fuel pump supply side into a clean container and let settle and see what it looks like.
No, the sequence went like this:
It was running fine, and then it felt like it started to stumble. I thought maybe the gas gauge was incorrect, so I stopped to get gas. But it only took about 5-6 gallons, so the gas gauge was fine. However, the stumbling got markedly worse as I limped home (about 5 miles). No power, backfiring, sputtering, etc.

The mixed up wires had to have happened when I pulled the cap to do the points. That one is completely on me.

I'm going to take it out for a spin now. If it runs ok, then the issue I was having was either the points, which definitely looked a bit tired for only 300 miles or so, or all the grit in the carb. I will report back shortly!