Thread: M20 or M21
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
y...so we know 1st gear is different from 2.56 vs 2.20 BUT...the astonishing part is the shift recovery from 1-2 = SAME. The shift recovery from 2-3 = SAME. Now the shift recovery from 3-4 in the M21 is same as 1-2, 2-3, while the 3-4 shift in the M20 is a little bit larger step at .675 (m20) vs the .781 for the M21...
Way back before calculators it was much more of a chore to compute out gear ratios, but I was getting ready to order my 67 and wanted acceleration but was aware of the long commutes that were necessary so I trudged through pages of multiplying things out to find the best compromise.

First three gears with a 3.36 rear with a wide ratio Muncie are the same as the first three gears with a 3.90 rear and the close ratio. So I had three gears to stay beside the close ratios that were out there, and to top it off I had the first three gears lower than the guys that order the 3.55 and close ratio. The good was basically was a good freeway friendly 4th gear -- but I better be out on the 3.90 equipped car because there was a massive drop between my 3rd and 4th gears.

Fast forward 50 plus years and first gear feels too high in traffic and high gear just isn't cutting it and I'm stuck in the slower lanes. Did an upgrade to the TKO-600 which gave a lower low and a higher high and brought the car into 2021. Now it feels like I have 4.56's in low and 2.56's in high.