View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Didn't read every post, but I'll say that when breaking in a cam be SURE to NOT use detergent oil. Use break-in oil ONLY. Not racing oil. Not diesel oil. Break in oil. We used to simply use non-detergent 30 weight that was the cheapest. Probably not available today.
Detergents in pretty much ALL oils except break-in oil will remove the lube from the cam and lifters quickly and render them useless for the cam break-in. And, NOT changing the oil after the cam break-in is false economy. My method is a 20-30 minute cam break in, dump the oil and filter, fill with normal fill, run about 500 miles, dump oil and filter again, and good to go. I've been using Rotella diesel spec in all my flat tappet engines for the past 23 years with no issues. The '65 has about 55,000 miles on the cam and lifters and the '67 has about 90,000 miles on the cam and lifters. No issues. Both broken in with non-detergent oil. But to be fair, in the '80's when parts quality was decent.
Agreed, years ago 30w non-detergent oil was was recommended for break-in. This was before they change the additive package with reduced ZDDP. Most people didn't really understand why Non-detergent was so important but we just did what was recommended. It is true that the detergents work against the ZDDP and make it less effective. Todays diesel oils have been reformulated to meet the newest API rating and now have about the same ZDDP levels as an off the shelf gas engine oil.