View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
Ok, a buddy of mine that worked at the Pontiac dealership in the early to mid 70s said they would break about half the housings trying to cold press them out. Pontiac wanted them to rebuild them rather and hardly gave any time for the rebuild job under warranty. So the mechanics could actually make more by just removing and replacing with a new pump.

After cold pressing and breaking a Guinea pig housing, I took a torch and cut the fan mounting flange on my number matching pump. The old bearing assembly came out heated housing easily without breakage.
Had to put a little heat on the fan mounting flange going back with the assembly. Otherwise no problems.
I do remember breaking a casting at the dealership. The parts department gave me a replacement water pump. I asked for a can of Pontiac blue paint for the cast iron. I had been at the dealer about a year and was the "newbie" on the line. The other techs came over as I masked off the fan hub and painted the new water pump. "What in the hell are you doing?". "Is there a flat rate time for painting a water pump?". I will never forget that. The dealership made me pay for the can of paint. It was the difference between doing it half azzed and doing it right. I was made fun of for doing that for months.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: