Thread: body rotisserie
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How deep into structural metal repair are you going to have to go? If you don't need to replace the entire floor pan and/or inner rockers, you can probably get away with not using door braces. When I asked about this for my own '66, numerous others here said door braces weren't necessary, so I didn't use them on my car and everything went back together as it should. But I also have a post coupe with the extra pillars. That said, the folks to said braces weren't necessary had the regular hardtops like you, so I think you'll be fine, too, unless you're getting super deep into structural stuff.

In my case, I fabricated my own dolly for my car rather than buying a rotisserie, but I had a lift that allowed me to get away with not using a rotisserie versus a regular dolly. One question I have is do you actually need a rotisserie that spins? The ability to spin isn't always needed, and if you will be sending your body out for metal work, you should ask the shop what their preference is (it can vary). If it's you who will be doing the work, give some thought to the pros & cons of a rotisserie versus a dolly. If you can get away with a dolly, there's a lot of money to be saved there.

Regardless, I know a few others that use rotisseries made by Redline Automotive (LINK), which seem to work pretty well for them. The photo below is what I made for my '66. Cost me about $350 in raw materials if I recall.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 07-10-2021 at 11:34 AM.