View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C.
Where the heck is Screamingchief? He could do a doctoral dissertation in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
X2
Where the heck is Screamingchief ? He could do a doctoral dissertation in this thread.
I'm never too far away,just not feeling especially long winded today.

Plus I dont have much to add here except that any talk of seat timing should also make some mention of where said seat timing is being rated at.

I say that as Harold B. was a big fan of shorter seat timing for all applications,just look closely at the progression of his lobes thru the years and that's obvious to see as they got shorter and shorter in seat timing as they evolved (ie: the VooDoo lobes are shorter than the UD lobes).

And if you look at the UD hydraulic lobes you need to note that he rated those @ .0045" vs. most everyone else rating their lobes @ .006",and when you look at the UD lobes @ .006" they drop a few ° of seat timing making them look shorter in seat timing than most folks see as SOP.

Me,I dont necessarily think that short seat timing and tight LSA's are the problem,that is if one knows to account for that detail and choose the given cam accordingly (ie: they need to choose a cam that's a bit bigger than one would normally use with lazy lobes on a wider LSA),but that does'nt always happen in the real world,so yeah folks often have problems as it confuses the cam selection process for many less informed buyers.

It's the same deal with solid cams,that old "add 10° to compare to a hydraulic" axiom is'nt always true,often it'll take 20° (or more) to find a comparable solid cam to any given hydraulic cam,especially when other factors are thrown in like specific lobe choice,LSA and ICL differences and such.

Fact of the matter is cam selection just is'nt as simple as we would like it to be.

I do agree that I'm not a huge fan of "fast" lobes myself,I say that as I've mostly stuck with the old Crower stuff as SOP,so I got no stake in this debate one way or the other,but I do feel there is always some merit to any given approach if the practical application of said tactics are based in sound reasoning.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.