View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was lining up the cam sensor last week, I didn't like the resistance I got rotating the oil pump to drop in the distributor so this weekend I pulled the accessory housing.

I don't know if its the cold or what, but the pump was not happy. I swapped out gears and end plate with no change. Soon as the bolts were tightened, the gears would bind up.

I ended up removing some material from the bottom of the original gears until they spun freely when lubed up. I'll loosely call this blue-printed, lol I cleaned out the whole assembly, re-lubed and put it back together. My assumption is that someone surfaced the pump housing and took too much material off. I'm happy to report it was easy to remove and re-install the oil pickup line.

I also made an aluminum cap for the cam sensor. I'll probably fill all the holes in the housing with JB weld and paint the body black, then put a red Pontiac arrowhead and the engine firing order on the cap.

My old cam sensor setup had a rough time. I used a plexiglass plate to hold the sensor on top, but eventually the engine heat got to the plastic and it cracked, multiple times. In the end, after 10+ years of service it was being held together by duct tape and zipties

How it started...

How it ended....

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)