View Single Post
Old 07-23-2023, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of observations.

You don't need an operable downshift solenoid in the TH400 with a well thought out Pontiac build. Matter of fact I unhook them on my vehicles. Instead I use my right hand to select lower gears if/as needed plus full control of the upshift points as well. Using the solenoid would for sure destroy the car or get me killed or seriously injured anyhow. If I were cruising along at 30 mph or so and went to full throttle the engine would try to rip the tires right off the rims if it shifted to low gear and I'd likely loose control of it and end up wrapped around a telephone pole.

I'd also add here the using Rhoads lifters on a RAIV cam has absolutely NOTHING to do with racing the car, or not. They are used to help offset the 80 something degrees of overlap and improve idle quality, vacuum production at idle speed, and improved throttle response and engine power right off idle and low RPM's. They work as advertised and take these somewhat "antiquated" engine designs and give them variable valve timing like modern engines. The downside is that they make noise doing it, which some folks can tolerate and others simply can not.

Advancing the cam has really nothing to do with engine noise unlessy you went so far the valves are smacking the pistons. In that event it would have bent them and you'd be walking anyhow. I've found that the RAIV cam likes to be at 109-110 ICL in a 455 build with moderate compression. Never used one in a 428 but I still wouldn't advance it very far, maybe 108-109ICL and run with it..........FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),