Thread: Close Call
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That time of year. A few years ago I was getting the riding mower up and running. When I lifted the hood I almost reached down to remove the clump of stuff on the engine.

I'm afraid I don't share the relocation theme. In fact, I caught a local company getting ready to dump a rattler on my property he had removed from another area. I simply explained to him that I would stick his head in the sack with the snake if I ever caught him anywhere near my house. While that kept him from dumping it on my property, he will simply drive a few miles and release the snake near someone else's house - and their kids.

The only species of rattlesnake that should be native to our valley is the Western Diamondback, but due to "collectors" that have went out to the surrounding deserts and brought back other species that later were either turned loose or escaped we now have Pacific Mountain and Mohave that are much more aggressive and dangerous.

While our normal year is about 5 rattlers, I eliminated 27 rattlesnakes in one season around my house a few years ago. That year we couldn't go out the door without finding a rattlesnake in our path. Front porch, rear porch, and patio - got really freaky. We've had three dogs snake bit and spent the money on the anti-venom, and that's not cheap. While we try and teach the young grandkids to watch where they are going, you know when they start playing they have forgotten. So best to to eliminate the problem and possibly save a child's life.

Now before you think I'm just anti-snake, I will stop and pick up and bring back good snakes to my house. I figure the area can only support so many snakes so I try and increase the good ones. Brought back Rosy Boa's, Gopher, King, Black Racers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake in mower.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	589371   Click image for larger version

Name:	rattlesnake closeup.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	589372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake front porch.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	589373  

Last edited by lust4speed; 04-25-2022 at 03:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lust4speed For This Useful Post: