View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The band who seems to rise above all the turmoil and drama of personnel changes has moved to be my TOP favorite in recent years. That is the TOP - Tower of Power. Of the original members 3 are left, but they are the founder/leader Emilio Castillo and his "partner in crime" Stephen Kupka who blows that monster baritone sax, plus a most unique drummer in David Garibaldi. The singers (quite a varied string over the years) are considered an integral musical instrument, not so much a "leader" or "front man" like most other bands.

They toured through the south recently and I so wanted to take my wife to see them, but the Atlanta venue required vax cards, and I ended up with work and Dr visit schedule conflicts for the Orlando date near my birthday in mid-Feb. I hope we still get a chance to see them.

I saw them back in 1977 and 1983 at My Fathers Place on Long Island, then in the mid-90s in Winter Park FL at the long demolished Cheek to Cheek club. Both venues were incredibly intimate for the punch of a 10-piece band with such dominant horns.

At 50+ years together they are still doing new material.