View Single Post
Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Final product on the far right. Jeez, this Delrin is like machining metal that isn't metal, like if your most cutest and nicest little sister was metal, that's the way it treats you.

Makes pretty manageable swarf compared to most plastics, easily machines with carbide inserts, starting with large OD drills no problem with pecking and some WD40, surface finish is super nice, and I could easily take off 0.001" at a time unlike some plastics that want you to take more of a bite if using anything other than razor sharp HSS.

Also more dimensionally stable, doesn't distort while machining, chuck doesn't distort it much (assuming you don't over tighten). I perused a few forums for tips on machining it, and more than one person said it's their favorite material to machine and if at all possible to make something out of Delrin instead of metal that's what they'll do.

Below ... OEM bearing, UHMW Polyethylene and Delrin on the right.

Interesting. I thought Delrin was always white. Machining is just part of my job though. I'm not a journeyman. We mainly use UHMW and Nylatron here. See Delrin sometimes. Looks good though!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post: